Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I Heart 2.5/2.5's




The results of my bike test at the EN Boston Power Clinic 4 weeks ago revealed that my power at V02max and at FTP were quite close together. If I wanted to increase my FTP (the metaphoric ceiling of my house), then I needed to first increase my V02max (i.e. raise the roof). How convenient that weeks 9-12 of the Outseason started just after that bike test. I had been reading the posts of the November OS crew and hearing off these 30/30's and 2.5/2.5 bike intervals that would increase our V02max.



After a month of those intervals, I was staring down the barrel of another bike test. Despite being sick for half of this last block, I did every single 2.5/2.5 and did them well. Nonetheless, I still had my usual bout of test anxiety. Instead of letting myself be nervous and getting over it, I did what I do best: meticulously plan down to the last detail of a gnat's ass.






Sleep for >8 hours the night before: check.



350 Calories, fat-free, liquid/easy to digest breakfast: check.



Favorite bike shorts and top: check.



iPod bike test playlist: check.



The Air King, our new monstrosity of a floor fan courtesy of my beloved Kevin, positioned so that maximal air circulation occurs while I am in my aerobars. This fan on its lowest setting can generate a windstorm that could propel Magellan across the globe in one gust. Check!



Now for the attitude check: I had confidence in the work I had done during this last block. I knew my FTP had increased, but by how much? Would that increase be enough to thwart any disappointment I might feel? And so what if it ISN'T? Do I really need to put myself in a position to be emotionally crushed by my expectations AGAIN? over a bike test 12 weeks into training? Oh for crying out loud, I need to get over myself!



Besides if my ProTour boyfriend, Fabian Cancellara, could win the prologue at Tour of California with a fever, I could at least get through this bike test without my binky or a diaper change.


But first some machinations about pacing...EN bike tests are 2 x 20 min intervals with a 2 minute rest. The normalized power of the entire 42 min effort = FTP. I had been using Hunter Allen's test of one 20 minute interval with 95% of the average power of that interval = FTP. I started my very first EN bike test holding the watts I thought my FTP should be. That lasted about 10 minutes into the first interval. The rest of the ride consisted of Kitima barely hanging on, generating just enough watts to power a night light.

Greater than my test anxiety is my fear of blowing up. I spent the next 12 weeks of OS trying to better pace 2 x 20. My plan: the first 8-10 minutes of each interval at FTP, the next 8 minutes at a somewhat harder effort, and the last 2 minutes balls out. No bonking, crashing, or blowing up. However, I felt like I still had a couple of gallons left in the tank. Perhaps I've been underachieving this whole time.

My new pacing goal for this bike test: first 6 minutes of first interval at current FTP, 12 minutes at "should" FTP, last 2 minutes balls out. The second interval would be the same except time at current FTP would be reduced to 4 minutes. I wanted to a nearly empty tank at the end, dizzy from the effort, even falling off the bike.

I paced it according to my plan except that for the very last 3.5 minutes I went balls out. The numbers on my Ergomo under current watts were numbers I'd only seen Kevin churn out on the Computrainer (on a tempo ride no less!). I told myself sternly, "These numbers should not be foreign to you!" I finished gasping for air and cross-eyed.

New FTP = 192. A 21 watt increase from 4 weeks ago and a 6 watt PR from last year's test which was done outside! I even negative split the intervals:

NP for 1st interval =190

NP for 2nd interval = 199

NP for last 3 minutes = 220

Holy cow! I sure needed some roof work, eh? Work works---it's speed entering my body and all that EN goodness. I'm gonna relish this small victory and hope that it edges out a sizeable chunk of test anxiety in my head. Now onto days of drooling on the bike because all the watt zones have gone up.



No comments:

Post a Comment