Sunday, February 8, 2009

Yesterday, Today, & Tomorrow


"Yesterday, Today, & Tomorrow" was the theme to my 8th grade graduation in 1981. We sang Yesterday by The Beatles, Today by John Denver, and Tomorrow from Annie. To say that we collectively lacked any imagination or taste in music is gross understatement. To use this theme for my first post only makes obvious that I value nostalgia over creative merit.


Yesterday: my old posts from 9/27/07 until today are on : http://train-thisironman.blogspot.com/


Today: I wanted to start my new blog with an auspicious musing, an inspiring tale. Instead, I have only to report that after 8 years of triathlon I have finally learned to properly recovery. I utterly crashed and burned Thursday's run of 2 x 1 mile intervals at 5K pace. The temperature was 12 degrees [Internal dialogue: BFD--you did your first snowshoe race 5 years ago in 12 degrees below zero!]; there was a headwind [Get over it, buttercup!]; work sucked the life out of me [When does it NOT do that?]. I couldn't hold the pace for the first interval, limped home, and promptly developed a sore throat and chest congestion that night.

As much as I really, really, really wanted to redo that workout the next day, I heeded the advise of my EN pals and took 2 days completely off from training. It's a miracle! Surgeons ARE capable of learning. I feel much better today instead of doing my usual muddling through workouts while sick, extending the illness and training in a half-assed manner.


Tomorrow: The sun'll come out tomorrow. Betcha bottom dollar they'll be sunshine...

1 comment: